The Harrington School House: Online Service-Learning Class Honors Historical Landmark
Authors: Yolanda Fields, Velencia Davis, and Mary Prescott
Faculty Supervisor: Dr. Carla Bluhm
In the fall of 2013 Dr. Carla Bluhm taught an online Human Development class with a service-learning component. While the students were distance learning, they met in small groups online or onsite to investigate the history of the Harrington School on St. Simons Island. The school opened in the 1920's and served as the educational facility for the local African-American community until 1968 -- the site of development of children. Listed as a place in "great peril” the Harrington School became the focus of the class who studied the history, the meaning of the school to the community and neighborhood. Students learned that to extend service to a physical place can bring needed attention, focus, and hopefully development of all involved.